Faith: A Barrier to Rational Thought (Podcast)

April 18, 2012
By
Philosopher Peter Boghossian

Philosopher Peter Boghossian

An Interview with Philosopher Peter Boghossian

This inaugural podcast from The Malcontent’s Gambit discusses the inadequacy of faith and strategies toward living in world without faith with Philosopher Peter Boghossian, who lives in Oregon and teaches at Portland State University. Boghossian has been called the Richard Dawkins of Portland. If we relieve people of their faith, and convince people to be truly honest and humble about what they know, religion will fall, says Boghossian. This is a frank and honest discussion with a bold, outspoken philosopher.

MP3 File
(42 minutes, 48 seconds, 39.2 MB)

Please subscribe to this podcast’s RSS feed, click here

You can read a summary and my thoughts on this podcast here.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Rationality & Irrationality

A Live Tweetcast by The Malcontent’s Gambit

of a Public Lecture by Peter Boghossian
Professor of Philosophy at Portland State University

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 10:00am
Friendly House Community Center on the southwest corner of
NW 26th and Thurman in Northwest, Portland, OR

Hosted by the Humanists of Greater Portland • More Details to Follow

www.malcontentsgambit.com • @MalcontentsGamb

Tags: , , , ,

29 Responses to Faith: A Barrier to Rational Thought (Podcast)

1. Paul Stanford
    May 15, 2012 at 7:44 am

Excellent! Great chemistry. Honest conversation. Very informative and educational. Thank you! (He’s my new favorite philosopher!!)

2. Wes
    April 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

Great interview!
    Minor point: did you have your own mic, Alan? It sounded like your voice was being picked from Peter’s microphone.

• Alan Litchfield
      April 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

Wes. Yep, single mic. I need to pick up another one, and a pop filter.

3. qapla
    April 21, 2012 at 4:48 am

another great podcast interview with Peter Boghossian

4. Karin
    April 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Great podcast! I have always felt that the religious (what I call them) seem to value faith over fact. Quite annoying.

5. Kurt
    April 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Great show Alan! I like the pacing / speed and the sound effects. I hope you are able to create a feed so that podcast programs can pull it in and download automatically (doggcatch, iTunes, google listen, etc).

• Alan Litchfield
      April 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Kurt. I’m working on creating a feed – I’ll announce it when it’s ready. Thanks for listening.

6. April 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm

thank you for making this available — excellent questions — good problems and thoughtfulness — you and dr boghossian are bringing philosophy to the city — & the city needs philosophy.

“Epicurus said, “Through the passionate love of philosophy, every bad human suffering is undone.” This is no doubt excessively optimistic. But as a guiding ideal and “political motivation” for teaching, it is not so bad.” M. Nussbaum

7. Steve Dawson
    April 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Nice job! And in case you’re still taking technical notes, mp3 played flawlessly on my iPad :)

• Alan Litchfield
      April 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I’m still taking tech notes. I’m relieved it’s working out ok. I appreciate you letting me know, and I’m grateful for your listenership.

8. Keith
    April 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

How do I get information about Peter’s May 6th lecture? I would love to go to it.

• Alan Litchfield
      April 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Keith: Here’s that info –
      Rationality & Irrationality
      a Public Lecture by Peter Boghossian
      Professor of Philosophy at Portland State University
      Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 10:00am
      Friendly House Community Center on the southwest corner of
      NW 26th and Thurman in Northwest, Portland, OR

I am tweetcasting the talk live at @MalcontentsGamb

9. Alan Litchfield
    April 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

The response to this podcast was overwhelming. The server could not handle the requests, but the problem has been fixed now. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

10. Plutarco
    April 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

Nevermind it just took a few minutes to start up for some reason. I’m listening now, thanks.

• Alan Litchfield
      April 18, 2012 at 9:44 am

Plutarco,
      Thanks for listening. It’s my first podcast, so any constructive input would be greatly appreciated!
      Alan

• Plutarco
        April 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Waaay to long to load on my windows machine. & when I pause and restart it hangs up and I have to start all over again.

• Plutarco
          April 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

& if you try to advance the bar back where you were it stops and need to reload. Bah!

• Alan Litchfield
            April 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m real sorry about that, Plutarco. It looks as if I have some troubleshooting to do. I was able to download the .mov file and play that much easier. I’ll look into a different player. Again, sorry. Thanks for letting me know.

• Jason
              April 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I seriously appreciate the effort to make this content available online to us for free. I agree with Plutarco; we just need the audio file so we can listen to it anywhere, like on our mobile devices in the car.
              Thanks!

• Alan Litchfield
                April 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks, Jason. I’m working to fix the problem right now. Sorry!

• Alan Litchfield
                  April 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Jason, fixed the problem. The toolbar is more responsive, and you should be able to download the mp3.

• Jason
                    April 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks! I was hoping you would do that, but didn’t have much faith.

11. Plutarco
    April 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

There should be more listening formats available. The image is of secondary importance, just an audio file would be nice.

• Alan Litchfield
      April 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Plutarco – I fixed the problem. The toolbar is more responsive, and you should be able to download the mp3.

Add Comment Register