A Path From Faith to Reason: ‘A Manual For Creating Atheists’

June 12, 2013
By
Philosopher Peter Boghossian

Philosopher Peter Boghossian

Philosopher Pete Boghossian Slams Contemporary Academic Leftism as a Hurdle to Progress

Portland State University Philosophy Professor Peter Boghossian and I discuss his new book, A Manual for Creating Atheists, in which he provides conversational strategies and tactics designed to lead religious believers from faith to reason. Throughout his book Boghossian offers diagnostic methods, provides practical examples, and supports his project with evidence. He also criticizes a disturbing trend in modern liberalism that helps fuzzy reasoning flourish. A Manual for Creating Atheists will be published in November 2013 by Pitchstone Publishing. Boghossian will be appearing at The Amazing Meeting, also known as TAM, July 11-14, 2013, in Las Vegas.

MP3 File
(46 minutes, 15 seconds, 22.2 MB)
Pre-order A Manual For Creating Atheists (with forward by Micheal Shermer) by clicking here • See the video “Islam Supporters Bully College Republicans Out Of Their Own Event,” and read about it here • Follow Pete on twitter @peterboghossian

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to A Path From Faith to Reason: ‘A Manual For Creating Atheists’

1. Theo
    September 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Why should anything be “done” ? Myers has only put forth the vaguest of evidence, to the point none of it is verifiable. One of the other women put forward, as substantiation of Shermer’s bad behavior, that he kept her wine glass full. Not that he touched her, hit on her, or made rude comments. He kept her wine glass full.

Accusations, lacking corroboration, are not evidence that anything happened at all, never mind proof of guilt.

2. Rocky
    September 6, 2013 at 4:57 am

Oh NO! Michael Shermer wrote the intro? That’s the guy P Z Myers is accusing of rape. (And more women are coming out about his sex harassment.)

Can’t something be done, or is the deal already made.

3. PortlandWes
    August 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

(Oops, I should have listened to the ENTIRE podcast before asking questions, eh?)

4. PortlandWes
    August 13, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Great podcast! Where is Peter going after PSU?

I so agree with his assessment of the left becoming so politically correct so as to endanger the basic principle of free speech. I think the British establishment is going through the same kind of soul searching, basically being liberal at heart, but so unwilling to criticize any aspect of Islamic culture or practice, that fundamentalists and extremists have free reign to recruit their soldiers of violence. Bending over backwards to not offend people’s beliefs will only result in spinal injury and bodily paralysis, metaphorically speaking.

5. June 13, 2013 at 8:38 am

Expressing my gratitude for this podcast with Peter Boghossian as the guest. Learned about the PSU controversy which I am ashamed I had not known about and I live in the Olympia WA area so pretty close geographically. Good luck with the book, Peter. On my way to Amazon to check it out and then to YouTube to see the PSU videos and then to Twitter to sign up for your feed. PS I spent most of my life as a right wing evangelical. I grew up Presbyterian and my dad was a minister, one of the those who loved Ayn Rand and the John Birch Society.

• Alan Litchfield
      June 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thank you so much for listening!

Add Comment Register